If you overstay your tourist visa

If you did not leave Chile before your tourist visa expiry date, you MUST pay a fine in order to exit the country.

How to pay the fine if you are within the Metropolitan Region


Head over to tramites.extranjeria.gob.cl and then click on “Iniciar trámite” below “Cálculo de Multa Extranjero“:

Complete the form with the following information:

  • Names; AND,
  • Surname(s); AND,
  • Gender; AND,
  • Date of birth; AND,
  • Passport number; AND,
  • Country of birth; AND,
  • Nationality; AND,
  • Address; AND,
  • Mobile number; AND,
  • Email address.

Then upload:

  • A copy of your passport or ID Card; AND,
  • A copy of your Tourism Card (given on arrival); AND,
  • A copy of the tourist visa stamped on a Chilean Consulate before traveling to Chile ONLY if you have one (based on your nationality). If you never got one before traveling to Chile, just upload your Tourism Card again on this field, or draft a letter explaining that you don’t have a Tourist Visa, because you don’t need one or because you entered Chile before it was required.

On the following tab check “No“, because you never registered a residency visa at PDI.

On the next tab, select “No” once again, since you never had a Chilean ID Card:

Finally, click on “Enviar solicitud a Extranjería” to submit your application:

After you submit the application, you have to wait for an email sent by Extranjería with the payment order.

Once you receive it, print it and pay the fine at any commercial bank in Chile. Finally, book an appointment for Extranjería for the process called “Sanción Extranjero Paso 2: Entrega vale vista y emisión de resolución de sanción pagada“:

The day of the appointment you will have to carry: your passport, tourism card, payment order, and proof of payment (receipt).

That day, you will receive a resolution (“resolución de sanción pagada”) issued by Extranjería giving you 10 days to leave the country.

  • For more information on how to book an appointment for Extranjería click here.

At the International Airport (Arturo Merino Benítez)

If you submitted your application (“Cálculo de multa”) and you haven’t received anything from Extranjería before the day of your trip, you MUST head over to the Immigration Office located on the second floor of the International Airport and request the calculation.

Right after they calculate the amount of the fine, head over to Banco Santander located on the same floor and pay. Please bear in mind that banks in Chile are open from Monday to Friday, between 9 am and 2 pm.

Once you pay the fine at Banco Santander, go back to the Immigration Office with the receipt to get the resolution from Extranjería (“resolución de sanción pagada”) to leave the country.

The documents you will need to get everything done are: your passport, tourism card, payment order, and proof of payment (receipt).

How to pay the fine if you are outside the Metropolitan Region

In this case you must head over to your closest Gobernación Provincial or Intendencia. There, they will calculate the amount of the fine. Right after that, go to the closest commercial bank to pay the fine and then go back to the Gobernación Provincial or Intendencia to get your resolution (“resolución de sanción pagada”). You will have 10 days to leave the country.

  • For the list with the Gobernaciones Provinciales in Chile click here.

If you overstay your residency visa

If you already had a residency visa (work visa – temporary visa – student visa):

  • You will have 30 days to leave the country without having to pay a fine, if your visa was issued for less than a year; OR,
  • You will have 60 days to leave Chile without having to pay a fine, if your visa was issued for a year or more.

These grace periods are contained on article No. 114 of the Immigration Regulation:


Notwithstanding the above, aliens whose resident visas have expired may leave the country in accordance with the provisions of Section 111 without the need to certify before the border control authorities the fact that they had been imposed some punishment whenever such expired period does not exceed the following terms:

a) Up to 60 days in the case of aliens holding a resident visa for periods of one year or more.

b) Up to 30 days in all other cases.


What if you exceed the grace period?

Then you will have to pay a fine and go through the same process explained above for those who overstayed a tourist visa.

How much is the fine?