What must you do after your Permanent Residency in Chile has been approved
Congrats! You are now officially a Permanent Resident. You now can stay in Chile indefinitely, and carry out any licit activity.
Once we are notified of the approval, or once we see that the application has been approved through consultas.extranjeria.gob.cl we need to follow 2 more steps, and in the following order (we cannot skip steps):
If our Certificate is available, we will be able to download it (we can send a copy to our email as well):
This will be the document that will prove that we are Permanent Residents in Chile.
Now that we are Permanent Residents:
- We can carry out any licit activity (article No. 80 of the Immigration Regulation)
- We cannot stay abroad (outside Chile) for more than one consecutive year. Otherwise, our Permanent Residency will be revoked.
- If we are unable to come back to Chile before those 365 days, we can apply for the extension of our Permanent Residency at the nearest Chilean Consulate, 60 days before the expiration date (article No. 84 of the Immigration Regulation).
2) We apply for our new ID Card
After we download our Permanent Residency Certificate, we will have 30 days to apply for our new Chilean ID Card.
The day of the application, we must carry:
- 2 copies of the Permanent Residency Certificate issued by Extranjería; AND,
- Our passport and 2 copies of the identification page; AND,
- Copy of the appointment confirmation (if the office requires an appointment); AND,
- CLP$4.270 to pay for the ID Card.
When it is ready we can just concur with our receipt and collect it (without previous appointment).
Our new ID Card will be valid for 5 years.
We won’t have to renew our Permanent Residency. We will have to renew our ID Card every 5 years.